Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Handicapped Features

Our motorhome has been altered very little to make it accessible for me but what we have done makes a big difference in ease of use. I still can not not use it without help but I think that with a few alterations it would be possible for a handicapped person to use it solo. The hardest part would be getting from the driver's seat into the back. But for a solo handicapped RVer I think that there are other RVs and modifications that would work better such as class A's with level floors and more room for equipment.
Larger door and lift. This is a Super Arm lift. It's a very good lift for RVs because it takes up very little space and leaves the entrance door accessible to everyone else.

IMG_3610

Dinette with one seat removed and cut down to open up the aisle.

dinette

Bathroom wall and door replaced with a folding door to make it useable.
013

Grab bar.

010
I use this bar to swing down in the front seat. To get in the back I scoot back on the floor and Tony helps me get back in the wheelchair. He also lifts me out of the passenger seat into the wheelchair if we are going out somewhere. Good thing that I'm not very big!

3 comments:

  1. Again,I wish you guys the best,god bless.
    Yavuz the Turk

    ReplyDelete
  2. How are you making your extra money since your accident. This is what my husband and I want to do. How do you decide where you are going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - we were fortunate that the man responsible for my accident had good insurance and we got a settlement plus I get SSI and a disability pension.

      There are many ways to make money and travel at the same time. Some people work seasonal jobs at campgrounds , fairs , tree farms and Amazon. Some work remotely on the internet. Some make things to sell.

      I use the internet a lot to find places to go. Check my other site - http://rollinginarv-wheelchairtraveling.blogspot.com/

      If you have any more questions comment on the other site because I forget to check this one. :)

      Delete