Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Built-Part1-Framing

  September 2008. Our 1996 Scotty. We wanted to duplicate this motorhome with upgraded materials. It was 12 years old and had just turned over 300,000. It still ran great and there was nothing major wrong with it but we decided that it was time for a replacement rather than risk a breakdown and then rush to find a substitute.
scotty
   A simple version of our floor plan          
043
We signed a fairly comprehensive contact with a custom builder but neglected to include a finish date, something that we would regret often.

Ken's shop with a sneak peak of the new motorhome
           034 (2)
This is the type of work he normally does - truck sleepers so a motorhome construction was a new experience for him.
sleeper
Framing - all aluminum
 Copy
Ken was so eager to start on this job that he partially assembled the frame before the truck was delivered.
frame2
All of the joints were fit like this for added strength.
frame3
   Trying it out on the just arrived truck chassis! We bought a F450 for the heavy duty frame and because the cab doors open fully. 4x4 because sometimes we go where we shouldn't!  V 10 because we don't like the noise and fumes from diesel.
fitting
Back in the shop for more frame building and cutting the cab to access the living area.
frame4
The picture above was taken in early Jan. 2009. The truck had been delivered at end of Oct. 2008. We didn't get much feedback from Ken between these two dates but figured he was busy over the holidays so we weren't very concerned. Little did we know that we were entering into a struggle to get him to communicate with us and finish the motorhome. A 11 month long struggle!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony and Karen,
    I've been reading of your trials with Ken at True Custom here and on utube. I've been having a problem with him as well.
    He customized my original truck sleeper in 1987, so I thought I knew him and liked him. I emailed True Custom in May '07, to talk about building a larger sleeper and he called me and we talked almost every day for more than a month, planning the build and I would put my truck in truck shows for him to advertise his work.
    I sent him 46,000.00, which he required to start the job. Of course we only talked a few times after that. I figured he was busy at work. I put my truck in the shop in Indiana to have new and longer frames rails, etc, to accomodate the new sleeper in Nov. '07. The sleeper was to be done in Jan. '08.
    Jim at S&J Truck in Ft. Wayne, tried to call Ken, but he never answered. We both tried calling and emailing, but he never answered and his voicemail was full most of the time.

    The blue truck sleeper you have on this page looks like the one I contracted him to build for me. I'd like to know what happened to it.
    I hired an attorney and have been to court many times. I won a judgement against him for the money he owes me plus interest and fee's.
    I've seen the video's of him talking about building truck sleepers for other people, while I've been waiting to get my money back from him.
    He is a deadbeat and I wish I'd never met him. Putting my story on your website, will hopefully help other people to make a more intelligent decision.
    I had Indiana Custom Trucks build a sleeper for me before I lost everything and I couldn't be happier. They built it exactly the way I envisioned it and it is solid! It took them only 2.5 months to build too! I won a trophy at the Louisville Truck Show for it. After reading about your nightmare, I can't help but think that I dodged a bullet!
    Thank you for the forum! I'm glad that you're on the road and happy at this point!
    Here is my email addy for any correspondence.
    petelargecar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi R.J. Sorry about all of your problems with Ken. It seems like Ken has a pattern of lying and stealing from his customers.I hope that by publicizing our stories we will be able to stop him from doing it to any more people.

    ReplyDelete